Adding a Featured Image
Adding a featured image in WordPress is very simple but some themes don’t use this image automatically or support it. Themes that do support this function will have a Featured Image check box included in the Screen Options found on the top right of this page.
To find the Featured Image option:
- Look on the top right of the page for a Screen Options tab.
- Click the Screen Options tab and a set of checkboxes will appear.
- Click the box next to Featured Image and the Featured Image box will appear below the content editor.
- Click the Screen Options tab again to hide the checkboxes.
For the most page, featured images are used on Posts only but some themes allow these on Page and customer content types as well. Check your theme documentation for more information and check the Screen Options tab to be sure.
WordPress 3.5 and later
For the Post or other content type, look for the Featured Image box on the right side of the Edit screen. If you don’t see this box, follow the Screen Option steps above. If there is a featured image attached, you’ll see a thumbnail of that image. If not, you’ll see a Set featured image link.
To set a featured image:
- Click the Set featured image link on the right (or click the Add Media button above the content editor, then click Set Featured Image on the left).
- If you have already uploaded the image to your site, find the image in the ones displayed in the pop-up box. Otherwise, upload your image by clicking Upload Files, then Select Files or drap and drop an image from your Finder or File Explorer window onto this pop-up.
- Once the image has uploaded and is selected, simply click the blue Set Featured Image button on the bottom right and the change is made.
To remove or replace a featured image:
- In the Post or Page Edit screen, look for the Remove featured image link on the right below the thumbnail of the current featured image. Click this link to remove the image.
- To add a new one, follow the steps above.
WordPress 3.4.2 and earlier
To add a featured image in WordPress:
- Click the Set featured image link
- If the featured image you’d like to pick has already been added to your content, you can select it as the featured image without re-uploading; just click on Gallery at the top, click Show next to the image you’d like to choose, scroll down, and click Use as featured image.
- To upload a new image, follow the “Uploading an image” steps.