Posting a YouTube or Vimeo video
Posting a video is pretty easy after you’ve done it once or twice but it requires tinkering with HTML code which can be a bit daunting at first. With a few screenshots, though, I think we can get you through it!
Note: Sometimes YouTube switches around its user interface so if you’re not seeing the button you’re looking for, leave a comment and we’ll change these steps around!
- First, go to the YouTube page of the video you’d like to post and click the Share button below the video
- In the box that appears, click Embed
- See that little snippet of code highlighted in blue? Simply copy that (Edit then Copy in your browser or CTRL (Windows) / Command (Mac) + C on your keyboard) and have it ready
- In WordPress, create a new Page or Post (if you haven’t already)
- On the top right of the body content field, look for the HTMLtab and click it
- Now, just paste that snippet where you’d like the video to appear and the Visual tab to switch back to the editor
- Give the Page/Post a title, click Save Draft, and then Preview to see your work!
Just a quick note about formatting and videos… like an image, you can re-size the video by click-hold-dragging one of the corners. You can’t, however, align the video using the buttons in the editor, unfortunately (the WordPress editor strips out the code that makes this work). You can, however, use CSS to make this work, if you’re feeling adept.
- Switch back to HTML mode using the tab at the top right and look for the embed code you pasted:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LabqeJEOQyI" frameborder="0" width="308" height="231"></iframe>
- Paste the following just after
"style="float: right; margin: 0pt 0pt 10px 16px;"
This will align the video to the right with spacing. To align it left, paste:
style="float: left; margin: 0pt 16px 10px 0;"
To center the video, paste:
style="display: block; margin: 0pt auto;"
- Switch back to visual mode or click Save Draft and Preview again to see how it worked