Uploading and Editing an Image
The following steps allow you to upload an image from your computer to your website. This process will provide you with a link that you can use to display this image anywhere. These steps can also be followed for images you upload to a Page or Post, just start on step 2 once you click the Upload/Insert link on the Edit page.
In the WP admin menu, go to Media:
- Click on Add New at the top of the page.
- Click the Select Files or Browse button.
- Select the image file you’d like to use from your computer and click Open. A status bar should appear for a few seconds.
- Online, you want to make sure the images that you are displaying are the right size. If you have already set the size in an image editing software before uploading, you can skip these steps. If, however, you’re using images directly from your camera, for example, you’ll want to shrink the image. The following steps allow you to alter the size of your image:
- Click the Edit Image button
- Click Scale Image.
- Change the dimensions of your image. Images on-line should be somewhere in the 40 – 800 pixel range, depending on what you’re using them for. If you’re uploading banner images, there are a few standard sizes, but typically you don’t want them more than around 300 pixels on any one edge. If this image is generally in that range, then you’re fine. Otherwise, change the largest value to something within that range.
- You can also crop the image as well. Click, hold, and drag on the image you see to create a selection (this can be moved and re-sized once it’s there). Once you’ve got it just right, click the crop button on the right.
- Once the image looks the way you want it to, scroll down and enter a “Title” for this image (not required). This text will not be seen on the site.
- Now, you should see a “File URL” field at the bottom. If you’re going to use this image in an ad or elsewhere, copy this complete link.
- Click Save All Changes and you’re done!