About Josh Can Help
I’ve been working on the web since 2007 as an engineer, designer, strategist, user interface consultant, team lead, project manager, and product builder. I’ve been working IRL since 2010 as a husband and since 2013 as a dad.
My core competencies are:
- Leading, guiding, mentoring – helping teams stay productive, build great things, and grow as engineers
- Web strategy – the how, what, and why to get your idea, community, business, or product online
- User Interface (UI) design and building – wireframes, in-browser design, Sass/Less/CSS
- Full-stack WordPress development – custom plugins, custom themes, frameworks, community sites, performance, security, API integrations
- Full-stack LAMP development – custom applications, dashboards, automated processes
- Grilled cheese sandwiches – consistent toastiness, crunchy cheese flakes on the side, cheeses other than cheddar
My long relationship with technology started in my early teen years posting on BBSes and building my own computers. After more than a decade of tinkering, I decided to make it my profession by building my first web site for a family member in 2006. Soon after that, I started taking on small client projects found via word-of-mouth and online-networking while completing a B.S. in Chemistry. Since then, I’ve built Josh Can Help up to a thriving freelance practice that’s been supporting me and my family since 2008.
I’ve worked with and for companies and agencies both large and small, including:
- Precision Nutrition
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Alan Colmes
- AT&T Wireless
- Johnson & Johnson
- The Fearey Group
- Monster Design
- SeaMonster Studios
- Hugo House
- Social Media Today
- Ready For Zero
- Ray’s Restaurant
I truly enjoy working on and with the web and I’ve met so many interesting, talented people along the way. I believe that you’re only as good as the people you associate with so I try to stay connected to people who I admire and enjoy spending time with. I also love helping people do their best online and elsewhere, hence the name of this site and my online persona.
- Here’s what I’m doing RIGHT NOW!
- I store all my public code on Github and find myself on there quite a bit. I open source everything that’s not proprietary or for sale. Thoughts on that here.
- I try to keep my LinkedIn profile as up-to-date as I can.