About Josh Can Help
I’ve been working on the web since 2007 as an engineer, designer, strategist, user interface consultant, team lead, project manager, and product builder. I’m currently focused on providing contract senior engineer support for design and development agencies that need my skill set. I also love helping nascent companies get their ideas designed, built, and launched online.
My core competencies are:
- Leading, guiding, mentoring – helping teams stay productive, build great things, and grow as engineers
- Web strategy – the how, what, and why to get your idea, community, business, or product online
- User Interface (UI) design and building – wireframes, in-browser design, Sass/Less/CSS
- Full-stack WordPress development – custom plugins, custom themes, frameworks, community sites, performance, security, API integrations
- Full-stack LAMP development – custom applications, dashboards, automated processes
My long relationship with technology started in my early teen years posting on BBSes and building my own computers. After more than a decade of tinkering, I decided to make it my profession by building my first web site for a family member in 2006. Soon after that, I started taking on small client projects found via word-of-mouth and online-networking while completing a B.S. in Chemistry. Since then, I’ve built Josh Can Help up to a thriving freelance practice that’s been supporting me and my family since 2008.
I’ve worked with and for companies and agencies both large and small, including:
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
- Alan Colmes
- AT&T Wireless
- Johnson & Johnson
- The Fearey Group
- Monster Design
- SeaMonster Studios
- Hugo House
- Social Media Today
- Ready For Zero
- Ray’s Restaurant
I truly enjoy working on and with the web and I’ve met so many interesting, talented people along the way. I believe that you’re only as good as the people you associate with so I try to stay connected to people who I admire and enjoy spending time with. I also love helping people do their best online and elsewhere, hence the name of this site and my online persona.
I’m all over
This blog is where all my general thoughts about web strategy, business, and conducting yourself online go. I write infrequently but I truly enjoy the process and I’ll never give it up.
Here are a few other places where my work and my words collect:
- I store all my public code on Github and find myself on there quite a bit. I open source everything that’s not proprietary or for sale. Thoughts on that here.
- I am the creator of WP-Drudge, Rank It WP, and WP Writer’s Block, 3 niche themes that have taught me a lot about products, users, and WordPress in general. I sell and support those themes and a Google News plugin on PROPER Web Development. I also write a bit about development there as well.
- I try to keep my LinkedIn profile as up-to-date as I can. [Edit: on a social media break as of 10/1]
- I’m on Twitter like so many others and you can find me @joshcanhelp. The difference is that I use and I like to use Twitter. [Edit: on a social media break as of 10/1]
How can I help you?
Have a question about what I’m doing, what you’re doing, the web in general, WordPress, or anything else? Drop me line, I’d love to help.